Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Signing of The Declaration of Independence



August 2, 1776:

The day is here. We can no longer tolerate the tyranny forced upon us by Britain.
I stand before the one document that will change the lives of all Americans.
I stand before the Declaration of Independence. All this document asked was my signature, and I gladly signed it.
Elbridge Gerry, another signer, loomed over the Declaration.
"We have signed our death warrants. We will be hanged for this."
Observing my own weight, I muttered this back,
"I shall have all the advantage over you. It will all be over in a minute for me, but you will be kicking in the air half an hour after I am gone."*

America, freedom awaits at the other side.

* actual quote from Benjamin Harrison


No comments:

Post a Comment